Seventeen Magazine Thailand March 2011 Interview, Khun



Nichkhun – a little boy and a Thai pride.

For those who adore the Korea’s Idol whose name is “Nichkhun Horvejkul,” there’s no need to elaborate anything more about him as this cute with sweet looks boy is the only Thai among Korean idols and a member of hot boy groups “2PM” who has captured the heart of Thai, Korean or Japanese girls at the moment.

For those who are not into Korean music, Nichkhun is the Thai guy who was scouted by a Korean agency while he was walking in the US. After he decided to take on the challenge by moving to stay and work in Korea, he became one of the most beloved foreign idols by Korean people just as how Thai people are very much proud of him.

This is not because he is internationally famous, nor handsome, nor has proficient language skills but it is because Nichkhun is a young boy who everyone should look up to in many aspects -- his determination for work, his polite and well-manner, his honesty, and his gratitude towards his home country.

These qualities may not be so hard to find in any person but when they are all in one person who is this “famous,” It can probably be called “miracle.”


17: How do you feel for being the first guy to have appeared on the 100th issue of Seventeen Thailand?

Nichkhun: 100 already? Oh It is 100th issue, isn’t it? Not 100 year anniversary (laughed). I am very honored and proud to be the first guy on the cover of Seventeen Thailand. Thank you for giving me this opportunity.


17: You have received a lot of love from Korean people. What have you done that makes you capture the heart of foreigners this much?

Nichkhun: It is more like adjusting yourself. When we go to foreign country, we should follow their ways of life, speak their language, and understand their cultures. For instance, when we see Caucasian people who know how to speak Thai, or cook Thai food, Thai people would tend to love them even more. Same with my case, many people say that my Korean language has improved a lot. They give me compliments and feel good about me.


17: What is the hardest thing in adjusting yourself?

Nichkhun: It is probably the language. Foods and characters here are not so different. When I was here at the beginning I barely spoke Korean. When I had to work it was like I was forced to speak. At first there were teachers but then I didn’t have time to study so I had to learn language by working


17: You have been in We Got Married (Reality Show of make-belief husband and wife) for a while. Do you consider yourself a good husband?

Nichkhun: (Smiled) I am trying to be a good husband but it is hard because I need to take care and do everything for my wife. Now I am not sure because I am still too young but I will try. (T/N not sure if he is a good husband)


17: What is the quality of good husband to you?

Nichkhun: Husband who takes care his own wife, who fills in what his wife lacks. Actually it is more like helping each other to complete one another.


17: How is bachelor life in 2PM dorm?

Nichkhun:We don’t do anything much in the dorm. We go back to the dorm very late. We just take a shower and sleep for 3-4 hours and wake up to work.


17: You work that hard!

Nichkhun: Yes, our schedule is loaded for around 6-7 months during promotion period. But there is break time which we usually find something to do because we do not want to be still doing nothing.


17: Heard that you only sleep 4 hours a day. Is that enough for human body?

Nichkhun: It is enough. We just look after ourselves in other aspects such as eating healthy food and taking supplements like vitamins. I try to think that I am not tired which is helpful for my moral support too.


17: You work this hard, how do you cheer yourself up?

Nichkhun: I think of my family and my future, thinking that I work this hard and I am this tired just for a better future. When I think like this, my spirit is cheered up.


17: Besides 2PM members, are you close with other celebrities?

Nichkhun: You mean in Korea? I am close with Super Junior’s seniors like Shiwon and Donghae. I am also close with SHINee’s Minho and Onew. We talk on phone a lot.


17: How do you have time to be close with them?

Nichkhun: During work (laughed). In Korea during Friday, Saturday and Sunday we have music programs that need us to be there at 7am in the morning to do Dry Rehearsal. We go there for voice rehearsal, no need for make-up or costume at dry rehearsal. After that we go for having make-up done and put on costume to do another rehearsal at 2 pm. Until the real broadcast which is at 6 pm we are practically free all day, to sleep, talk. Just for 3 minute broadcast but it takes us the whole day.

17: You are also using twitter very often.

Nichkhun: I think twitter is a social network that helps us communicate and say what we want to say but we need to use it in a proper way. Before tweeting we need to check first if it is appropriate and if it is not offending anyone if we tweet it out. I try to let my fans know what I am doing, uploading some pictures. Since they are following me, following my works, I should have something for them.


17: Have you ever received bad feedback?

Nichkhun: I have (smiled). For example, in We Got Married, when I say something incorrectly, I got some feedback. Not everyone loves me, right? so I have to be neutral at its best. Recently I was in an ads with kiss scene. I got feedback from that too (smiled) But I took them all to improve myself. If I only receive good comments like ‘Oh you are so handsome, so cute.’ It does not help me improve. I need to find something very long to read that tells me what I need to improve. Those are more useful.

17: You have been tweeting about the book and many good quotes from Paulo Coelho.

Nichkhun: I like Paulo Coelho. He is such a good writer. He can bring simple or little things and make them special. For example, he writes about drinking tea which he can make something out of nothing. I would like to recommend the book that I tweet “Like the Flowing River.”


17: Is it true that you did not love reading before?

Nichkhun: Yes, it’s true. I did not read before because I did not like staying put for a long time. It was boring. Now that I want to have more mature thoughts, I read books. Actually I almost forgot English (laughed) since I speak only Korean. My English accent becomes weird and I forgot many English words and English writing so I try to read books.


17: What do you think you might be doing in the next 17 years?

Nichkhun: I would have my own family and run small business with my family. If I have kids I have to dedicate myself to look after them.

Nichkhun who was voted by Seventeen readers as the hottest guy of the year is on the first guy ever cover of Seventeen magazine for its 100th special issue.

Source: Seventeen Magazine Thailand March 2011
Translated by Offogato @ 2pmalways.com
Edited by Egle @2pmalways.com