KARA - With a new start, engine at full throttle!


KARA - With a new start, engine at full throttle!
Enter the 5 Korean idols, the topic of all conversations!

Now, we want to convey to you,
The bond between the five of us


They are KARA, who, during their fan meeting on 11th June, spoke passionately about their thoughts while in tears. These girls finally started anew with "GO GO Summer!" We take a complete look at the plenty of stuff they told us, from their current state of mind to the thoughts they put into their music.

Thank you for waiting
We Love you!!


Gyulee
"This summer, I want to go to Guam or Okinawa!"

Q1 What kind of fashion styles do you want to challenge yourself to take up in summer? (Aomori prefecture, female, 25)
The energetic style of outfits that we wear in "GO GO Summer!" is fine, but I also want to challenge myself to wear maxi dresses, chiffon dresses and stuff like that, fashion styles that are classy and make me seem more like an adult.

Q2 Just like the title of your new song states, do you have anywhere that you want to go to this summer? (Yamagata prefecture, female, 21)
Guam or Okinawa. So far, although I've been to both of them, I still retained a good impression of their beautifully colored sea. In fact, the first place I went to in Japan was Okinawa.

Q3 Among the members, whose voice do you like the best? (Osaka, female, 20)
Among all the members, as each voice has its own distinct quality, I like them all. After recording ends, we would listen to the song, completed by the voices of all the members, and I would never fail to feel extremely excited each time. If I have to choose one person... it has to be my own voice; of course I would like it. (Laughs)

Q4 Recently, what is something you bought which pleased you? (Aichi prefecture, female, 13)
A dog. It's a Pomeranian, just like Seungyeon's, but bought at a separate time. Actually, I already have 2 dogs at home. However, it's the first time owning a doggy to myself! It’s extremely cute.

Q5 The drama "URAKARA" was really fun to watch. If all the members were to participate in a drama again, what kind of setting would you like it to be in? (Kanagawa prefecture, female, 22)
(Pondering) Hmm... there's no telling about it... If everyone’s awaiting another drama, maybe a setting in which everyone plays a character with a personality that is the exact opposite of their original personality will be interesting. In URAKARA, everyone had a really healthy image so perhaps we could take up the challenge and try to have a sickly lead character or something?

Q6 Pop songs or ballads, which do you like better? (Kyoto, female, 19)
In the past, I liked pop and dance numbers. But recently, I am attracted by ballads. I wonder if it’s the fault of becoming an adult? (Laughs)

Q7 Approximately how old were you when you began having the aim to becoming a singer? (Oita prefecture, female, 13)
It was during my days as a Secondary School student. Ever since I was young, in the course of working as a child actor, the thought of “I want to sing!” naturally formed in my mind.

Seungyeon
“Recently, I’m very into doggies.”

Q1 Among the members, whose voice do you like the best? (Osaka, female, 20)
I like Jiyoung’s voice. Among it’s cuteness, it conceals a baby-like pureness. When I listen to it, I would always think, “Wow, it’s good.”

Q2 Recently, what hobbies are you into? (Kanagawa prefecture, female, 22)
Doggies! Like Hara…, I started raising one only about a month ago. The dog I raise is a Pomeranian.

Q3 Have you all gone for karaoke sessions before? During such sessions, what kind songs did you sing? (Osaka, female, 20)
Before, the five of us used to go really often. During these sessions, we would do stuff like imitate the choreographies of other girl groups (Laughs). After that, there came trot songs, a genre resembling enka of Japan. Thus, we would sing that too.

Q4 Recently, what is something you bought which pleased you? (Aichi prefecture, female, 13)
I have a skipping rope with only the handle portion and no rope. It’s the latest model. They installed a counter at the handles, and it shows me the exact figures of how many calories I burnt, how many times I jumped and more. There is no sound produced from rope hitting the floor so I could jump in hotels too, right? Thus, I am pleased.

Q5 Among all of KARA’s Japanese songs, which is your favorite phrase? (Tokyo, male, 30)
In “Jet Coaster Love”, the phrase (Singing) “♪ What will happen to this dangerous thrill?” When we sing this phrase, we are required to say the “rill” of the word “thrill” really quickly and this is pretty interesting to me.

Q6 The drama "URAKARA" was really fun to watch. If all the members were to participate in a drama again, what kind of setting would you like it to be in? (Kanagawa prefecture, female, 22)
All 5 of us want to try acting in detective and mystery shows. If that’s the case, I will act as a criminal. (Laughs)

Q7 What kind of fashion styles do you want to challenge yourself to take up in summer? (Aomori prefecture, female, 25)
I want to wear bare-topped maxi dresses. Because it crops off just above the chest, it feels like something one would wear at a resort. If we speak about “summer”, the feel absolutely has to be one of a “resort”!

Nicole
“I impulsively bought the first one piece I have ever purchased in my life”

Q1 Of all of KARA’s songs, which is your favorite? (Chiba prefecture, female, 15)
This is difficult!! (Pondering) I guess it should be “My Darling”. It’s a song about confessing to the prince of my dreams, but by just singing it, my heartbeat will accelerate. It’s a song that can stir things up in my heart!

Q2 Just like the title of your new song states, do you have anywhere that you want to go to this summer? (Yamagata prefecture, female, 21)
Europe. Italy, Spain and France are fine too, but recently, I saw a video about Budapest in Hungary and it really caught my interest. The violinist in the video was performing a Budapest tune on stage but when I saw that, somehow, I got the feeling of beautiful streets, and that “I just have to go there!” (Laughs) Yes, Budapest, I’m calling out to you!

Q3 Among the members, whose voice do you like the best? (Osaka, female, 20)
Jiyoung’s voice. It’s really clear, and carries with it a pure feel. It’s a vocal quality that I don’t possess, so I will think, wow, it’s good, when I listen to it. It’s also due to the fact that my voice is a little husky.

Q4 Recently, what is something you bought which pleased you? (Aichi prefecture, female, 13)
A one piece! The other day, I was shopping for a birthday present for a friend when a lovely one piece caught my eye, so I bought it impulsively. Actually, it was the first one piece I have ever purchased in my life.

Q5 I want to know more about the dogs you told us about on Twitter! (Ishikawa prefecture, female, 16)
I am currently raising two toy poodles. Their names are “Mocha” and “Cino”. Both their names are derived from the beverage, “Mocha frappuccino” (Laughs). Initially, Mocha’s name was “Mika”, but to match with Cino’s, I changed it to what it is now. And, right now, I’m in a dilemma about whether I should raise another two more dogs. I’ve always wished for a white dog so if that’s the case, I think I would want to try a Bichon Frise, like Hara’s. I’ve already thought of the name I will give it too – if it’s white, it should be named “Cream”. The other one would be a black American cockle spaniel, and I want it to be named “Americano” or “Espresso” but…

Q6 Among all of KARA’s Japanese songs, which is your favorite phrase? (Tokyo, male, 30)
During the high point of “SOS”, there is this phrase, “♪ In any case…” This is a phrase I find cute when I’m singing it. During the second high point, there’s a part, “♪ Please…” It’s a short phrase, but I feel that my feelings are conveyed through it, so I like it.

Q7 Pop songs or ballads, which do you like better? (Kyoto, female, 19)
Personally, I like songs with medium tempos. I especially love the song, “I Love You” by Charice, so I often practiced my dances to this song by myself.

Hara
“This summer, I want to go to Hawaii~!”

Q1 Just like the title of your new song states, do you have anywhere that you want to go to this summer? (Yamagata prefecture, female, 21)
Hawaii~ (Immediately answers)

Q2 Among the members, whose voice do you like the best? (Osaka, female, 20)
Seungyeon’s voice. Her vibratos and vibration skills that her voice possesses are superb. Delicate yet stable, it’s gentle and thus easy to the ears.

Q3 Recently, what hobbies are you into? (Kanagawa prefecture, female, 22)
Fufufu. I’m in this together with Seungyeon too. Doggies! I started raising one a month ago. It’s a breed called “Bichon Frise”. It’s white, with curly, fluffy fur, making it look like a stuffed toy. During the initial period of raising it, I would do it together with Seungyeon and because of that, we would sort of discuss, “How should we do this?”

Q4 Recently, what is something you bought which pleased you? (Aichi prefecture, female, 13)
I bought loads of clothing. However, because I bought them online, they have yet to arrive. (Laughs bitterly)

Q5 Have you all gone for karaoke sessions before? During such sessions, what kind songs did you sing? (Osaka, female, 20)
I have not gone for one recently, but in the past, all five of us would go together. Trot (Songs that resemble Japan’s enka)? Yup, we sung that too. If I go with my family, I will sing songs that sound like the ones my parents would sing, but I will stretch my voice when singing. I feel great doing so.

Q6 The drama "URAKARA" was really fun to watch. If all the members were to participate in a drama again, what kind of setting would you like it to be in? (Kanagawa prefecture, female, 22)
Ah, since all of the members are into doggies right now, how about a drama that deals with pet-raising? There are “childcare dramas”, but a dog-themed one can be a “dog-care drama” (Laughs). And unexpectedly, each of our personalities would emerge on screen. Wouldn’t that be interesting?

Q7 What kind of fashion styles do you want to challenge yourself to take up in summer? (Aomori prefecture, female, 25)
I want to take up the challenge of fashion styles that are more feminine and adult-like, for example, chiffon one pieces.

Jiyoung
“If we were to do another drama, I want to do one with a devilish female lead!”

Q1 Just like the title of your new song states, do you have anywhere that you want to go to this summer? (Yamagata prefecture, female, 21)
The sea! I really want to go see the sea, where the water is so pretty and clear. However, just by singing “GO GO Summer!” in Japan, I am able to have a feel of the summer mood!

Q2 Among the members, whose voice do you like the best? (Osaka, female, 20)
Seungyeon’s voice! In ballads, it’s earnest and carries an adult-like feel and in pop songs, it just clicks with something inside you. Also, her voice is really versatile; from energetic tunes to serious and earnest songs, her voice fits them all.

Q3 Recently, what hobbies are you into? (Kanagawa prefecture, female, 22)
Nails, and dogs (Laughs). I raise four dogs. Four to five years ago, there were only two of them but recently, I added another two more. Now, I have a beagle, a Maltese, a Yorkshire terrier and a toy poodle so it gets very lively. Everyone’s so cute, so I pretty much couldn’t go to bed at night! (Laughs)

Q4 What kind of fashion styles do you want to challenge yourself to take up in summer? (Aomori prefecture, female, 25)
Simple fashion styles, like a sleeveless T-shirt paired with shorts, as that isn’t something I would normally wear. If you’re asking, “Do you want to take up this challenge?”, do you think it’s a good idea for me to venture into this?

Q5 The drama "URAKARA" was really fun to watch. If all the members were to participate in a drama again, what kind of setting would you like it to be in? (Kanagawa prefecture, female, 22)
Personally, I want to be a female lead with a “cool adult” character! Leading boys by the nose? A girl with a devilish personality? Yes, yes, that’s the sort of role I want to act in!

Q6 Among all of KARA’s Japanese songs, which is your favorite phrase? (Tokyo, male, 30)
During the high points of “Mister”, “♪ Right now, Mr., hug me, Mr.”. I like that part as it seems like both a command and a plea, and isn’t this middling feeling interesting? The rest of that high point contains phrases with “○○ me”, and this echo effect is really fresh at first.

Q7 Pop songs or ballads, which do you like better? (Kyoto, female, 19)
With regard to KARA, I think most people will have a lively image of us so naturally, I can sing pop songs better. However I’m not really used to singing ballads yet so there’s a bit of pressure…

Credits: cherrims@karaholic.com